Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow

Alright!!! The first snow of the season, and we actually had some stick to the ground. I had to admit...I'm such a kid at heart. I just couldn't resist letting Olivia play for a few minutes as we came in from Auntie Lynn-Lynn's house. She was thoroughly amazed and kept saying, "Make a Snowman, Mommy!" We did roll up a few small balls (like the size of a quarter) but she didn't want to hold on to them too long. As soon as she felt how cold it was...she was finished! I love this shot - even though she's not smiling - because you can acutally see the snowflakes. I hope that there's still some left tomorrow so that she can play a bit more!.
And don't worry, Zachary got to admire the snow too....just from inside. With a double ear infection - he wasn't allowed out in the snow, but he sure did like watching it come down on the back deck. He banged on the deck door forever before I had to drag him away!
In other news, Zachary started crawling on New Yeear's Day. We were so excited. He did it that morning and then took about a week off before really getting back into it last week. Now he's a crawling machine.

The big debate in our family right now is whether or not we put Olivia in a 2-year old pre-k next year. I really want to do it...like REALLY bad. But she'll turn three in November and will be older than all of the kids, and frankly my only fear is that she'll be bored. If any of you have thoughts and/or experience with a 2-year old pre-k, let me know. I'd love to hear!

Well, I hope that Old Man Winter is kind enough to you all to bless you with a soft blanket of white, and I hope that everyone's safe tomorrow.

10 comments:

Chris said...

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was looking to see if anyone else had snow pics up! Thanks for dropping by...cute pics. Yes, we'll see what we have left in the morning to work with!!

HAPPY SNOW DAY!

Tara said...

Very cute pics. Glad Zach is crawling! Have a good rest of the week.

Andrea said...

Whoohoo! I recognize that hat Olivia is wearing! I was beginning to think she wouldn't get to use it at all until a few weeks ago. I hope Zach feels better soon-I can't believe he's crawling already!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, wasn't that great?!?!?! I did the same thing when we got home from gymnastics. Morgan loved making snow angels but after about 12-15 minutes she was ready to come in! Too cold.

I was so hoping that we could play again today.....we have enough left to build snowmen and do all kinds of fun stuff if it weren't for the rain!

Hope Zach is feeling better and that we can find some time this weekend to let the girls play!

Caron said...

Hey! It's so good to see an updated post of the kiddos! They are still just adorable!!! Allie loved the snow too, but agreed with Olivia that it was too cold to touch for any length of time...LOL!

So... here's my two cents worth of advice on preschool. I definitely think it's a great idea! I really doubt Olivia will be bored at all. At that age they really are just thrilled to have kids to play with... especially kids who she will learn to recognize and form friendships with. All kids love songs, games, coloring, stories, yadda, yadda, yadda... so I think she will have a blast!

I put Allie in a two day, two year old class and she LOVED IT!! The oldest child turned three in October while the youngest boy didn't turn three until the following August, so there was quite an age range. I still felt like their skill and ability levels were fine in the same room. Allie didn't turn three until May, so she was one of the younger kids, but I still think the decision we made to enroll her was a great one.

Basically, I saw it as a great place to let her interact with other kids without me around to interfere or correct her. There is some structure (well, as much as you can have with 2 year olds...) and they were all able to get into a daily routine of circle time, story time, taking turns, leaders, learning shapes, letters, etc. I was just amazed at the songs and games and even the classroom rules she picked up on.

Well... that two cents quickly turned in to about $3.49 worth of advice. Sorry to ramble!!! Oh well, don't stress about it. Maybe plan to go to the school's open house in the fall and see how Olivia responds.

Caitlin said...

Hi. I've been checking out your blog through Amanda's page at All-About-D. Great snow pictures! As I understand it they are saying the snow will be back tomorrow.

My son is 19 months right now and will (hopefully) start a 3 day class in the fall. I believe it will benefit his social skills.

From what I've read about your daughter, I have to agree with Caron. She will enjoy the class and I don't believe she would be bored. Is there an option for letting her "try out" the class before you commit?

Anonymous said...

Love the snow pics, Bethany!!! I can't believe how big sweet lil' Zach is getting! wasn't he just in your tummy!? why does time have to go so fast, i tell ya. it flies.

anyways, love the post!! hope you are having a great weekend!!

Anonymous said...

I would out Olivia in preschool. I had this same feeling last year with Luke and I am so glad that I did. He is becoming more independent, outgoing, and talking more. He really need to get away from me for a few hours and have his on social time. He really enjoys going.

Caitlin said...

How is the preschool debate going?

Chris said...

Hey girl...definitely email me. cmbresnan@aol.com
I would love to hear what advice you have for starting potty training at 21 months. Linds talks a lot about it but hasn't shown interest in sitting on it yet.

Thanks!! Chris