Saturday, July 18, 2009

Little Fishie in the Sea....or the Pool

What do you get when you cross a dare devil with a copy cat?

A 3-year old who learns to swim and sends her mom into cardiac arrest!!!

Olivia took 2 weeks of swimming lessons earlier this summer and did great. She was the youngest one in her class and was by far the bravest of them all. The teachers just laughed at her b/c she'd hang on to the side and push herself under and stay there - for a REALLY long time. After I fought the urge to run over and jerk her up, she'd emerge saying, "Mommy I touched the floor!!" Good for you kid! Now swim down and get Mommy's heart and pick it up off the bottom of the pool!

The last day of lessons, she got in over her head and got choked and has been really timid ever since. We'd go to the neighborhood pool and she'd stay in the baby pool the whole time, refusing to jump in, put her face in, or float on her back. Well, I agreed to take her to the pool on Wednesday on one condition....NO BABY POOL.

In her biggest Big Girl voice, she looked at me and said, "Mommy, I don't want to go in that Baby Pool. I'm going to jump in, put my face in the water and float on my back like a big girl."

Sure enough, she was swimming across the whole pool before we left. Here's a little clip.


Before this clip, she swam the entire width of the pool, she swam under my legs to the stairs, and then she showed me how she could jump off the edge backwards! I wasn't expecting the latter, thus the reason for my cardiac arrest.

I hope all of you are making splashes this summer.

3 comments:

Angela said...

That is AWESOME!!! She knows what she is doing. Isn't it amazing how kids always suprise us with something like this. Way to go Olivia!!!!

mel mel said...

Too cute! The girls will have fun now that they really can swim!

Cecilia said...

What a cutie!!