Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Need Help....Losing Patience

What was I thinking???

Okay Ladies of younger ones out there. I'm really needing you right now. I'm 6 days into this Potty Training thing, and we're still struggling. The book that we have is awesome. I'll share it once we get everything down and give you my honest critique. It's simple, easy to understand, and makes perfect sense! Having said that, I ask myself why we're still having a hard time? Here's where we are. Please let me know if you have any suggestions:

Olivia has not worn a diaper or Pull Up since Friday morning (except while she's sleeping).

She's wearing either Dora panties or the thick cotton training pants (girly print of course.)

She's not afraid of the Potty, in fact, sometimes I have a hard time getting her out of the Potty. She'll sit there forever singing, reading, playing with a toy, etc. She actually likes going to the Potty - just not going IN the potty.

We set a timer for every 20 minutes, and when the Potty Clock rings, we run to the bathroom.

She's seen me go, she's seen other kids go, and she's actually gone 5 times since we started, but most of the time she waits until about 5 minutes after we've left the bathroom and then she wets her panties (or dirties them).

When she wets (or dirties) herself, she will come and tell me immediately, but alas, it's too late.

We give her different rewards. I have two bags full of stuff like necklaces, party crowns, stickers, tootsie rolls, and balls.

I have 4 days left with her until I go back to work. I'd really like to get her to tell me before she has to go so that Aunti Lynn Lynn doesn't have as much work to do with her. Any advise anyone has would be great. And if you're a reader and don't like to leave public comments, please email me at bethanyg@delaneyinc.com

Thanks guys!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl, remember, my son was 3 and a half before he fully got it completely. i truly believe in letting go and just letting them do it on their own. that's been my experience. the more i got involved the more he decided he wasn't gonna do it. when i got outtah the way, he potty trained himslef. but the rewards helped some with joe. sounds like you are doing a great job though and that Livi is getting the hang of it. hang in there. it'll be done before you know it!! :)

The Partins said...

So I continually revert back to my other girlfriends' stories... but one said that she started timing after lunch how long it took until she would need "to go" and then go to the bathroom and they would just sit in there until pee-pee happened. She would just give her something to drink during lunch and then nothing afterwards until her daughter finally figured out what it felt like to need "to go" and then it was all gravy. But Really, it just depends on Olivia wehn is the best time. Her daughet was pretty predictable...30 minutes after lunch, she would have to PP so 25 mintues after lunch, off to the potty they would go and stay in there until it happend. Then she left IMMEDIATELY so her daughter knew that that was the SPECIFIC purpose for the potty... not a place to sit and read and play, but to "go". But it is GREAT that she is telling you the second it happens...that's a BIG start. At least she is becoming aware of her functions... she probably just doens't recognize the warning signs yet. She will :-)

Melanie said...

Ummm, remember me pulling my hair out with Morgan?? Sometimes they just aren't ready yet and then something clicks. One day Morgan wasn't potty trained and the next she was COMPLETELY potty trained. Them little ones have a mind of their own I tell ya!

Angela said...

I agree with Mel. My doc said with Kade not to push to much and he would come around and one day he got it. Luke has no interest in the potty. I have tried to bring his attetion to it and he could care less.

Andrea said...

I gots nuttin' for ya on this one-Sorry : (

Tara said...

I don't have any advice for you either only my support. Good luck!

Amanda said...

LOL! We are not pushing D -- all of my friend at work are telling me if I try before he is ready then it will make it worse! He does enjoy getting on the potty before bath time and he actually went tonight before bath time as well as Sat. night. I think he recognized it for the first time today because he said pee-pee and my dad was playing with him. Pops was like are you going pee-pee and he nodded and repeated "pee-pee." I put his potty up tonight and he did use it again once I put it up. I think it freaked him out a little so once I got him diaper back on he finished his business. He would prefer to run out of the bathroom and pee or pull his diaper off and pee somewhere! LOL!!! My friends at work are telling me to hold off until he is at least 2 and half so we are just occassionally doing potty talk at our house! :) Sorry I don't have better advice for you! All I know is when they are ready it clicks! I learned my lesson on pressuring the sippy cups for 6 months and the week he turned 1 he just took one one night and never looked back to the bottle! I was so angry with myself for torturing him or stressing! LOL!